Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Way He Looks At Me
He sits there with this look of awe on his face
And I turn away with haste
I look in the mirror
With a little bit of fear
All I see is a woman who has conformed to the world’s view
And I know others can see it too
My beautiful hair is hidden from his eyes
Sometimes the thought of it all makes me want to cry
I want to feel beautiful but how can I
When this suppression sometimes makes me want to die
How can a world be so cold?
I think they want to make all women look old
For now it is only hair
But how much more can a woman really bare?
I feel like I have no control
But that for now is my role
So I will appease
In order to avoid tease
During the day I am under their reign
But at night I take down my hair of mane
Just the sight of it makes him sing
And once again I feel like I am in a dream
The sun has gone down
I am no longer bound
I feel as free as my hair
This occasion is so rare
I am alone at last with the love of my life
It makes me remember how great it is to be his wife
He just stares
With a look that lets me know he cares
He is filled with love once more
As he closes our bedroom door

This poem focuses on the way women used to be treated. Women were supposed to look a certain way, dress a certain way, and carry themselves in a certain way. The poem talks about a woman who feels like she must follow society’s rules in life, but at night when no one is looking she becomes her beautiful self and lets down her hair. Her husband is always looking at her, but at night he gets to see her true beauty and it is truly stunning to him. This is a love poem that shows how woman used to feel and how some woman may still feel even today.

No comments:

Post a Comment