Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Miracles
This week in class we were assigned to read the first eighty pages of the book “Peace Like A River.”  We read the first chapter together as a class and the word miracle really stuck out to me as we were reading. The word miracle is used throughout the book and really provides insight into these characters lives. Reuben Land describes miracle as a word that “for too long has been used to characterize things or events that, though pleasant, are entirely normal.” This really made me think about what I define as a miracle. I think too often people think that it is God’s job to provide miracles. This is why some people get angry when God does not save a person’s life or does not stop something bad from happening. I think that miracles are God’s way of blessing people. God does not have to perform miracles, but he chooses to because he loves his people.
The book talks about the miracle of the never ending soup. This closely parallels the story of Jesus and the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus took a small amount of food and provided food for everyone there. God is defiantly capable of performing miracles, but it is not up to us to decide when a miracle needs to take place. We have to trust God and know that he has our best interests at heart and that he has a plan for our lives. I feel like I have never really seen a true miracle in my life, even though I know I have. I am a miracle myself. God created my uniquely and no one else is like me. This book really grasps the reader’s attention by starting with a miracle at the very beginning of the book.
Throughout the book there are many references to miracles or miracles witnessed. Some of these miracles are pretty amazing and sometimes hard to picture or believe without seeing. That is why God takes faith, we cannot always see what is going on, so we have to believe. God will always be there for everyone. All we have to do is give our life to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment